Michael Abaki – Age: 2yrs 10months
- He is a two year and ten months child residing at kathomo village.
- He is the first born and the only child in a family, he stays with a grandmother who is a peasant farmer but her mother works far away from home.
- He was born well until six months when the condition was detected at Siaya County Referal Hospital which referred the child to Kisumu Provincial Hospital for CT scan where condition was confirmed.
- The child was later referred to Occupational Therapy Department in the year 2014 where assessment was done and treatment began immediately.
He has been undergoing regular therapy at the Occupational Therapy department since year 2014 to date.
Figure 2.being trained on bilateral use of hand.
At the beginning the child :
- Had no head control
- Had no trunk stability
- Could not sit
- Could not crawl
- Had no roll over from one side to the other
- Could not hold objects on both hands
- Could not stand with support
- Has now attained most developmental milestones except for talking, thus:
- Good head control
- Good trunk stability
- Rolling over
- Sitting up
- Standing alone
- Walking by self
- Playing with objects using both hands
- The mother is grateful and motivated and this makes her bring the child to the clinic regularly and consistently. She is now a mentor mother motivating parents with disabled children.
- Good Corporation from the mother has also contributed to this success.
- The family now doesn’t believe in the community myths linked to the child condition and are now happy about their child’s progress
- He may need speech therapy which currently is not offered at our facility.
- He will now be taken for special education assessment and school placement
- He may be prone to chest infection and this will have to be monitored at the clinic constantly till he reaches 5years.