- He is a four year old child residing in Barding village, North Alego location in Siaya County.
- The father works in Nairobi as a soldier (army) and the mother is a house wife.
- He is the fourth and the last born family.
- The condition was detected at Bar Agulu Dispensary where the child had frequent convulsions was then referred to Siaya where the condition was detected at the OPD then was referred to Occupational Therapy department for more intervention in the year 2012.
- Assessment was done by the therapists and the mother counseled on the condition and the treatment began immediately where she has been attending therapy three times a week up-to-date beside other programmes given to the family to perform at home.
At the beginning the child :
- Had no head control
- Had no trunk stability
- Could not sit
- Could not crawl
- Had no roll over from one side to the other
- Could not hold objects on both hands
Figure 4.trying to walk with full support.
- He has been undergoing treatment since 2012 at the Occupational Therapy department to date.
Figure 5.trying to walk with little support at tumaini rehabilitation centre occupational therapy department.
Figure 6.the child keenly focuses on his movement.
People in the society believed that the child was bewitched and would never attain any developmental milestone but now the child has attained most developmental milestones:
- Good head control
- Good trunk stability
- Rolling over
- Sitting up
- Standing alone
- Walking by little support
- The mother is grateful and motivated and this makes her bring the child to the clinic regularly and consistently. She is now a mentor mother motivating parents with disabled children.
- Good Corporation from the mother has also contributed to this success.
- The family now doesn’t believe in the community myths linked to the child condition and are now happy about their child’s progress.
- He may need speech therapy which currently is not offered at our facility.
- He will now be taken for special education assessment and school placement
- He may be prone to chest infection and this will have to be monitored at the clinic constantly till he reaches 5 years.